Saturday, February 19, 2011

Golfing At Corpus With Friends, Gabe Lozano Golf Course

The rule is if you don't use it in a year you should take it out of the rv. While this rule is usually followed, I simply couldn't get rid of my golf clubs. So when our rv park neighbor got to talking about his golf game I managed to worm my way into an invite to join a group when he had an opening.
Now I was sitting, standing ready, on the first tee and wondering if I could even get the ball past the ladies tee. It had been two years since my last golf misadventure and I was hoping that I wouldn't hold Jerry and Frank back.
I addressed the ball and took a swing, only to slice the ball into the rough by the next fairway. Not a good start. Luckily I have some Irish blood and I asked for a Mulligan. My second chance was actually pretty good. Luck is better then skill sometimes.
Ending up with a seven on the first hole, a triple, I really didn't feel too bad and I doubled the next two holes. Doubles seemed to be the name of the game until I got a bogey and then another! Now my friend Bob had told me years ago that my goal should be to be a bogey golfer and that shooting in the mid forties would place me in good stead, so I was pretty happy to end up with a fifty two for the front nine.
Of course  I started the back nine with a double but then things started to click, even though I was getting a bit sore from walking the course,(the real reason I should golf more as walking is good). I then settled down and shot a few more bogeys, hoping for a least one par on my return to the links.
We got to a par three and it was two hundred and ten yards from the white tees. I took out my driver and actually kept my eye on the ball. It hit in front of the green and rolled to within five feet of the cup! Oh my goodness a chance for a birdie put. Carefully lining up I stroked the ball and it went into the dead center of the hole,my first birdie in four years!
I never did get a par and I ended up with a forty eight for the back nine. It really surpassed my expectations and I found myself wishing, or looking forward to another day on the course. Good friends, a rosette in the water on the third hole, and a birdie......Clear skies.

No comments:

Post a Comment