Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Christmas at Treasure Island

It seems surreal to be sitting here in south Florida. The temperature is eighty degrees and its simply perfect. We spend each day taking short trips and then walk to the beach to watch the sunset. The hibiscus are in bloom and the Christmas tree is lit, and what could be more normal?
People keep telling us that the place will soon be jammed with retirees. Mostly snowbirds from the east coast. They warn us of the terrible drivers, but we haven't seen any so far. We do plan on leaving for Texas on  New Years day, so perhaps we will only see the crowd as it heads south while we head north.
Meanwhile we are so enjoying it here. We even went to an art museum, where they wouldn't let you take your camera. I was really hesitant to spend the money, as the tickets were nineteen dollars apiece, but it turned out to be  some of the best money I have ever spent.
See the museum is the Dali Museum in St Petersburg and I was moved by the works of Dali as I have never been moved by art before. Sure the melting clocks and nudes would make you think I was joking but the self guided tour let us understand some of what was going on in the mind of the artist, and I never knew....., neither of us did.
I have spent my whole life dedicated to reason and logic and I now wonder if I should have instead dedicated my life to art and the world of dreams. At first I was simply overwhelmed by the visions Dali shared with us but now looking back I think I understand  that my rational thoughts have been a good part but still only a part of my whole being, and I have tried to ignore the rest.
Our jewelry making and lapidary at least lets us try to combine both, as Dali combined both science and dreams in his work. Neither of us would ever be so presumptuous to compare our work with any other artist but at least we are trying to expand our boundaries by working stone and metal. At least we have discovered the beauty while we still have some time to do so. Clear skies

No comments:

Post a Comment