Thursday, May 24, 2012

Renita's A Smooth Operator

I could tell she was nervous, heck we both were but our daughter Patty insisted that Renita learn to run the skidster. After all if you are going to collect rocks lets really get after it! So after  brief instructions she tentatively raised the bucket and was soon heading down the road.
Avoiding Matt's patrol car,(its not good to hit a state troopers car), she revved the throttle and cruised down the road at a breakneck speed of almost four miles an hour! The top end on the device is seven miles per hour. Turning on the driveway she made a doughnut and then another and I could see her bright smile as she sped by me.
Coming to a stop she opened the cab and then told me she wanted one. My turn was next and Matt told me it was just like driving a tank on a video game, with two levers for steering and two sets of controls for the bucket. I opted to use the ones on the stick and now I sped down the driveway making my own doughnuts as I turned. We had a blast and its a good thing we don't have a place for one!
That afternoon we decided to drive along the Green River and check it out as a possible canoe float. Turning on the gravel road past the bridge we were surprised to find a great gravel BLM road and campsite after campsite, all with pit toilets and all right on the river.
Returning to the highway Matt and Patty asked us if we had ever geocached and soon we were ducking though the willows trying to find a standard cache. I walked right by it as I was glued to our gps device and but  the kids found it, stuffed in a willow and covered with some branches!
Surprisingly we didn't have any rocks so we just signed the notebook and added our card. We looked at some  skeletons, one a moose and the other a coyote, but decided we didn't need any more souvenirs. Driving back to our fifth wheel. parked along side their house, we ended the day with deep fried Gulf Coast shark and whiting and we all agreed that the shark was the best. Who could ask for a better day, even though it snowed off and on and a cold north wind signaled the passage of a front! Clear skies.

ps Patty told us that the correct term is to operate heavy equipment, not to drive it, hence the smooth operator title

3 comments:

  1. I don't see what the big deal is the lady work at a coal mine:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed your post. Renita can do anything....she's a woman LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations for adventure and great speed ..
    A hug right here in Brazil.
    Carlos.

    ReplyDelete