Sunday, June 23, 2013

A Perigee Moon Over the Salt Range

I always get a little irked at the newscasters whenever they hype an astronomical event. The so called special event usually leaves most disappointed. So the forecast for the perigee moon was that the moon would be eleven percent larger and thirty percent brighter.
So I went out and took a few images of the perigee moon rising over the Salt Mountain Range. It's the mountain range just to the east of where we spend the summer.. I also measured the size of the moon using the standard technique of holding my arm extended and covering the moon with a finger, (this technique is often used to show that the moon really isn't larger at moon rise then when it is directly overhead). Anyway there was no way for me to measure any increase in size, with such a primitive method.
Perhaps if I lived on the sea coast I would appreciate it more by watching the tidal changes. While it was bright the most noticeable thing was the smell of the forest fires in Colorado. It's the first time we have smelled fires this year and I hope its the last. Pray for western rains, I am not going to sign off with my usual ending this time. Cloudy skies.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting!!!!

    Maybe Nanc could have used a staple gun, but they would gone into my skull, a bit painful:)

    ReplyDelete