Saturday, August 3, 2013

Floating the Salt River, From the Narrows to the Diverson Dam


I
I had developed a method for rounding the rivers many meanders. Aiming for the inside of the bend allowed me to avoid the overhanging willows and dead heads. However the movement from the fast current to the backwash often would turn the canoe in a hundred and eighty degree loop. The stern would then stick in the rock and it would take me a while to get reoriented.

Now it really wasn’t a big deal, unless there happens to be a large cow moose sharing the shallow water……So I had one of those Wyoming wildlife moments where she stopped eating and raised her head, staring me in the face. I hoped there was no nearby calf as I realized how close and big she was.

I had wanted to try floating the Salt River, so when Renita scheduled a hair appointment at a salon in Afton, I figured this would be a good time to do some exploration.  Loading the canoe into the back end of the truck we soon were at the landing and I waved goodbye as the swift current carried me into the first turn.

Right away I saw some cutthroats and so I stopped to set up my fly road. I was a little nervous about the float as the river was so swift that it would require me to keep a constant state of readiness, making sure the canoe was straight as I entered each small rapid, (really it was just class one stuff, but a sideways canoe can easily roll).

I swiftly passed over the largest mountain whitefish I have ever seen but again I wasn’t able to fish them as I had no way to stop and cast my nymphs. Still it was ok as I had figured this trip was mainly about learning the stretch of the river.

I could see why most float the stream in short inflatable pontoons. They, and shorter, kayaks would give you the ability to turn quicker than my fourteen foot Mad River canoe. Still the numerous rapids passed by and I almost never touched bottom.

Entering one of the few straight stretches I cast my fly and was quickly fighting a mountain white fish. Landing it, I released it and stowed the rod before entering the next bend. Now I admit I was being a bit over cautious as I was concerned about the overhanging trees but it really wasn’t that difficult.

Soon I passed under the first road bridge and then passed a couple anchored in a river float boat. They had the setup as with two people one could row while the other fished. Still I was having a blast as I sped downstream. Rounding another bend I surprised a bald eagle which flew into a nearby tree waiting for me to pass. I got out my cell phone and tried to take a picture.

Further, on I was treated to yellow warblers and even a belted kingfisher and the wildlife viewing is one of the joys of floating a stream. Oh and I already mentioned the close encounter with the moose, (Still moose attacks aren’t that uncommon and I was way too close for comfort. Luckily I got unstuck and the current took me into the next meander). I made a few more casts before deciding that today was more about exploration and not about fishing. It really was a blast to float down such a beautiful river.

Floating the Salt reminded me of an amusement park ride and that’s what it’s really all about, having fun. Now if I can just find several more people, so we can have vehicles at both ends of the float and if I can get Renita in the front end with the camera, and if the moose is still there……maybe I can have some images for my blog. Clear skies
 
( it took about two and a half hours to float the four mile run. The canoe was ok but its a little long at fourteen feet. I would never run this river when it is higher so be sure to check the stream flow data at USGS, oh and of course I always wear a life jacket)

No comments:

Post a Comment