Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Walking the Beach at Fort Desoto


 
Monday is a good day to head to Fort Desoto. There was no one else at the beach and so we enjoyed the solitude. I took some images and waded along the shore soon spooking a small southern stingray. Oystercatchers fed in the surf along with the usual sanderling and dowitchers.

Renita and Jenny paused as I took a mother daughter shot, before we all looked for the perfect seashell. I kept an eye out for any baitfish or anything for that matter. The tide was coming in and the end of the island was marked by a pass that reminded me so much of the passes at Grand Isle.

There were actual standing waves at the mouth of the pass and of course I wished I had brought my fishing pole. However our beach search found two really unusual sea creatures, a sea slug and a flying fish.

The sea slug washed in the surf and as I touched the creature it released a bright crimson ink, probably a defensive response. Carefully nudging it I guided it into deeper water, looking out for any stingers and it must have been ok as for once I wasn’t bitten, stung, or impaled.

A little further a flying fish lay washed up among weeds at the high tide mark. I had never seen one before and so I arranged it for a better shot. U thought of the book Kon Tiki and the passage where the explorer wrote of making a meal from them. Seagulls instantly flew overhead as their ability to spot a potential food always amazes me.

Returning to the truck we next drove to the fishing pier, stopping to look at potential launch sites for our kayaks. Walking out on the pier we saw several fishermen cleaning fish and they were happy to show off their catch.

Many had Spanish mackerel, one had a flounder and three sheephead, and another filleted sand sea trout. I watched as a man cast his heavy rig and fished for the mackerel. He explained he was using his own home made spoons and used a long leader so the silver lure fluttered when he paused.

Others were catching small jack creville and even a few Florida pompano and so of course I started to cast my lure. I only succeeded in catching a snag and broke off my rig, but that was ok as I haven’t paid enough dues here in Florida to actually catch any fish.

 
At another spot I watched a man wading and throwing a large cast net. I have quite a bit of difficulty with my six foot one and his was at least eight feet in size! It really was a thing of beauty as his every throw resulted in a perfect circular splash.

After out picnic we headed back to Jenny’s house but not before a stop at the grocery store to purchase three pounds of clams, Back at her cottage I watched as she instructed me on one way to prepare them and of course they turned out to be a tasty dinner delight.

So we had another fine day at the beach, special time with our daughter, and a great seafood meal. Of course Renita collected a few sea shells, and that’s ok as they are destined to be added to our seashell collection in Star Valley. Every day is a blessing and this one especially so. Clear skies

1 comment:

  1. Have never seen either the seaslug or the flying fish here in Grand Isle - tell Jennie that the pineapple upside downs were delish but her's were a l00 times prettier!

    ReplyDelete