Monday, December 10, 2018

A lazy week in Florida, walks on the beach, baking Cookies, and getting hearing aids


Our routine here is simple. It mainly consists of getting up, lazing around and then going for a walk on the beach. We have been neglecting our exercise, my Fitbit broke, and while Renita has kept her slim figure I have managed to put on weight.
As the beach is only a couple of blocks away, it is easy for us to take a daily walk on St Pete Beach.
The area is mainly condos and so we must dodge cars to cross the main street before we reach one of the beach access spots. Ten minutes and we are kicking off our shoes as we stroll along the surf.
Renita, ever hopeful, always carries a shell sack while I look for unusual corals or sharks’ teeth. The beaches aren’t very crowded as we walk early in the morning, or during the week and so we avoid the influx of locals and other snowbirds. It’s a fine white sand here with lots of shell fragments, quite a difference from the Texas beaches.
We also drove up the Gulf side to check out the beach at Sand Key Park. There were more people there but nowhere near the crowds there are in January. It’s a good place to walk and we did find some coral along with some twig like branches of bryozoans, (they are small coral like animals).
Another day, Jen had the day off work and she invited us over to their house to bake cookies. Did I say I was going weight? Not a cat person her cat sensed it and of course was all over me trying to make sure I knew she was there.
She’s a crazy cat and sleeps in a drawer, even though Jen and Eric had bought her a whale shaped sleeping bin.
Finally, I have broken down and been tested for hearing aids. The test showed I have moderate to severe loss. It also showed that I could improve my conversation skills and so we ordered me a pair. After doing research, (checking out the low scores given in a Consumer Reports comparison), we went to the local Costco store, as the hearing aids only cost sixteen hundred a pair, (I have been saving up for them and have not bought any rocks for the past five months).
So later this week I hope to hear, what people are saying. I also hope to hear birds again, and perhaps be able to hear the “woof” sound if a grizzly bear sneaks up behind me!  Clear skies

2 comments:

  1. Enjoy Florida. I'll be looking forward to a report on the hearing aids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm......guess I do not get to shout at you any more????!!!! Getting to hear once again.....surely must be great news for you. Getting anxious to have a day or two together......when are you coming over to south Texas???

    ReplyDelete