Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Mustang and North Padre Islands

We left Aransas Pass and drove all of twenty miles to Mustang Island State Park. It was the first time we took the ferry across Aransas Pass, with our fifth wheel, and we wondered why we didn't take it before.
Arriving at the park, we set up and headed for the beach.
Now the jetty's in the park are usually empty, or pretty much so, and so we were surprised to see them crowded with fisherman. As we watched they were catching fish after fish and finger mullet were everywhere. They were being chased by schools of trout, red fish and bluefish and of course the brown pelicans had joined in the feeding frenzy!
I started to tremble and shake and Renita could see that I was gripped by the same fishing frenzy! It was all she could do to calm me down as I hurried back to the truck for our cast net. I soon had lots of finger sized mullet and we found an empty spot at the end of the south jetty.
As fast as we threw out our bait was stolen! biatfish were being mauled and we weren't catching any of the fish. Finally I hooked a fish and caught a small bluefish, my first  Texas bluefish!  Now Renita and I love to eat fish but the worst fish we have ever had was bluefish and so back in it went. It was ok, we were catching fish and all was well.
The next day we went to the Packery Channel to See if they were catching flounder and the bridge was lined with fisherman. Again cast nexts were flying and we watched as trout and red fish and flounder were being caught. Not wanting to fight the crowds we drove to the Packery Channel jetty's, where the pass empties into the gulf/
Catching some mullet and ghost shrimp I soon had a sheephead and bite after bite from large piggys and grunts. Finally, I set the hook on a larger fish and I caught my first snook. It was too small to keep but it was a new species for me and that is always worth remembering. As I fished Renita watched the surfers.
On another day we went back to the South Jetty at Port Aransas. While Renita walked the beach and photographed dolphins I of course threw out some cut mullet for red fish and caught a perfect eater that measured 28 inches long. Fresh fish for dinner.
Now we do there things besides fish. We spend two days a week in the lapidary shop and we wire wrap our cabochons when the weather is too bad to fish.... Oh and we do walk the beach daily as that's what the beach is for. It has been a while since we were at Grand Isle, our last time on the beach, too long in fact.
Clear skies.

No comments:

Post a Comment