Saturday, January 15, 2011

Happy Hour at the Beach 2011, Mustang Island

Pete announced that Thursday was the day for the happy hour bunch to do the annual day at the beach fishing expedition and so we all headed out early to get the best spot to fish and still be close to the barbecue. Hopefully we would catch some fish and then have a fish fry back at the rv park, also an annual event.
Renita and I headed out, stopping along the way to buy some fresh shrimp/ Our friend Lannie had already provided us with some frozen mullet and so I expected it to be a good day for reds and maybe even a shark.
We were on the same ferry boat with some of our group and we followed them to the beach turn off at the beach access one. I had bought a tow rope to pull out stuck people but the beach had been prepared by a grader that was still working and it was easily the firmest beach driving we have ever had. The surf was really low as a cold front had passed and the wind had shifted and so I had a good feeling as this would allow me to wade out and throw into and past the third cut.
It felt cold as I waded out and I watched Charles and Jim as they both waded and cast. My new big surf rod let me make the cast and I threw the mullet to what I thought was a good spot for a big fish. Alongside me I watched as Charles caught a pompano and then a double of whiting. Even though pompano are my favorite I still left the mullet on hoping for a shark.
Pete and Reva, Dale and  Howard, everyone seemed to be catching fish but no shark or redfish bothered my bait. I still held out hope and watched as they caught fish after fish and that was good as I could taste the fresh fish being fried back at camp.
The grill was fired up and Steve became the grilll master, expertly cooking the doggs and brats, while the ladies set out tables and spread out the food for the beach feast. Of course I made a pig of myself and tried every desert, The whole group stopped fishing and ate and of course we had way to much food.
Finishing lunch I headed back to my poles still undisturbed by any big fish and I watched as Reva caught a pompano. It was too much for me to stand and I brought in my line and rebaited it with fresh shrimp. The tide had been coming in and it was harder to wade out as the surf was a growing stonger, but I stilll managed to just make the third cut.
My pole jerked shortly after and I reeled in a small whiting. Another cast and another whiting and I threw this one into Charles cooler as an offering to the upcoming fish fry. More casts and more whiting as the tide continued to come in and it became harder and harder to wade out into the surf.
At the end of the day, Pete informed us that the final count of fish was sixty whiting and two pompano. It was enough for a fish fry and even though I didn't catch any reds, black drum, or sharks it was still a good day on the beach with friends. Clears skies.

1 comment:

  1. Do you have to have a fishing license to fish the ocean? Jim would love to fish there...would be a new experience for him as he only has fished for trout in Colorado.

    ReplyDelete