Wednesday, August 24, 2011

A Week of Wire Wrapping At Keyhole

Tomorrow we will leave our favorite park and drive all of 45 miles to Gillette. There we will actually do something we have avoided, work as sound assistants at the Escapade Rally. We both have trepidations about it, it seemed like such a good idea, and I am sure it will be fun, bot the Irish in me well ok, I will leave it at that.
The past week had been idyllic. Each morning I launch the canoe and  paddle along Cottonwood bay casting for a few small mouth along the rocks. I actually caught a couple and I don't know who was more surprised, me or the bass. I released them so they could grow up and maybe bite my line next year.
After paddling we both have been doing some wire wrapping. Renita found a book with detailed projects, none of which we have ever done and so our goal has been to try new styles, techniques, and new forms, including rings.
I first made a simple copper ring as we use copper and brass while we are trying something new. Gold filled wire has risen to eighty dollars an ounce and sterling to almost fifty dollars. At those rates we won't be doing much else then copper and brass, but that's another story.
The book showed me detailed images of making two different styles of ring, a loop ring and one called a flower. After making simple ones of these two styles I was able to make another and added a small agate cabochon. Feeling brave I then made a silver ring and used a Montana Lavender Star Sapphire, of almost 20 carats. I had purchased it from a friend and I can't wait to show him when we return to Texas.
Renita made a beautiful sterling wire wrap of a cabochon she had ground and polished while we were down south. Its a type of agate called flower garden agate and looks like a bouquet of roses. She made a unique wrap and  she added a sterling group of flowers to the top.
Her work of course is always elegant and she takes the art to a level that I usually don't attain. More wrapping included a loop bracelet, a wire wrapped feather with a tiger eye cabochon, and a spinner ring. Like I said it has been a good week before going to work and the rally will really be fun as we will reconnect with other full timing friends. Clear skies

2 comments:

  1. The jewelry is beautiful - Wish I could have sold some for you here but we had no customers - Even Herbert who you probably met, says he could tell Gary wasn't making or selling because he wsnt getting any sawdust for his horses. The rings are really cool and I love the bracelet - you two are really artists! Love, C

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are both doing some beautiful work. Always glad to see the new pieces you are creating. I guess all those rocks in the bucket are being useful after all. Amazing. Sharon and Allan

    ReplyDelete