Wednesday, November 7, 2012

The First Week In Largo, Florida

It doesn't seem possible that we have been here a full week and it also is hard to believe that we are going to be here for almost two months. So its Jenny time, our daughter, and its time to fix some of the many problems that developed during our time in Alaska and Canada.
Our first order of business was to see Jenny and she invited us to an Alaskan salmon and hog fish cookout, Of course we supplied the salmon and her friend Eric, the hog fish. Cooking over a charcoal grill was kind of different for me but the fish turned out great .
It was so nice to meet her friend Brandi and also to meet her family as Brandi has been a huge help during Jenny's first year as a RN here. The young people are all new scuba divers and it almost made me want to get certified, but I think I will just stay with the snorkel.
So the second thing, being in Florida, means beach time and so we have spent two of the seven days lazing on the sand. Of course its not just sand time and we have also found some places to fish. It then created somewhat of an ordeal in trying to find a place to buy a fishing license. The online Florida Game and Fish site crashes and is one of the worst state sites I have been on. Luckily a Walmart was able to connect,(the other Walmart couldn't), and I was able to buy a salt water license.
The rear stabilizer jacks on our fiver have jammed and so I spent a frustrating day removing the whole assembly. Of course I can't find anything but a full new assembly and at six hundred bucks, that's just too much. So my next order of business is to find a welding or metals shop that can replace the worm gear or at least clean up and repair the part.
The final thing has been to work on more of the mammoth ivory and Alaskan and BC jade. I have actually made some earring sets that match some of our ivory pendants. Earrings are really time consuming but we get asked for matching sets and so we are going to try to increase the number we carry.
So its been a busy week and today we should do some more work on repairs, or maybe we should go to the beach. I know, I will flip my two headed coin. Beach it is! Clear skies

1 comment: