Thursday, July 4, 2013

2013 Gillette: Tuesday at the Escapade, A very Busy Day Classes and the Star Party


 
So Tuesday arrived and another busy day was ahead. Renita had signed up for two classes and I needed to gather up all the materials for the star party. I dropped her off at 8:30 and then headed to the Escapade office. There the staff made copies of the July star chart and Molly supplied me with up a bag of door prizes.

Returning later I stopped and talked with the members of the Row, (which is made up of volunteers who talk about the different state chapters and available escape coops). I know we want to make a northern California trip so I learned a lot from the Jojoba Hills representatives.

I looked in the craft classroom and Renita’s class was huge, so I just popped in for a few images. I wish I had taken the class with her but that’s ok as I know she will teach me how to make such a neat bracelet and necklace. Later I picked her up and we shopped in the Vender area before taking her back for her afternoon class.

I tried to get some sleep as the star party was scheduled to run till 11:30 pm, but it didn’t happen. Soon we were off to the site and we sat for a bit before people started to show up. Our friend Leland brought his telescope and we all waited for the sun to set. Some high thin clouds threatened to destroy our skies but Venus appeared between the wisps.

Meanwhile people were busy downloading apps for their tablets and smart phones and so Renita and others were all sharing. That’s what the star party is all about. Escapade star parties are especially fun as there are some really knowledgeably people that also show up!

The next star to appear was Arcturus and then Vega. Soon Spica and Saturn appeared and the star party was a success. The sky was never perfect but the brightest stars were showing up and so we were able to point out quite a few of the major constellations.

Soon some mosquitoes arrived and then a merciful but cold wind blew them away. Unfortunately it was too cold as the temps dropped to the seventies and people started to leave. It didn’t really matter as we had made some new friends and that’s what the Escapade is all about! Clear skies.

No comments:

Post a Comment