Wednesday, September 18, 2013

A Birthday Buffalo Jam


 
The alarm went off at 3:15 am and we could barely drag ourselves out of a nice warm bed. Getting up, we got dressed for a busy day in Grand Teton National Park and left the Rv Park at 4:15 am. Now the reason for the early start was that Jenny’s flight, for Florida, left at 7:25 am and it’s about an hour and a half drive to the Jackson Airport. Arriving about six there was already a long line waiting to check in to the flight.

However the line moved pretty quickly and so we said our goodbyes, always hard, but it seemed a little harder as today was my birthday, (my sixty second in fact). Now after your twenty first birthday, the days seem less important until you reach retirement age. Then, at age sixty two you qualify for not only social security but also for a lifetime senior pass for all national parks and their associated campgrounds.

So rather than wait around the airport we decided to watch the sun rise on the Tetons. Driving to Glacier View Turnoff, we got the cameras and binoculars ready and waited for the dawn. It wasn’t the first time we have watched the sun rise in the park and soon there were other cars arriving. Everyone was setting up cameras and it made me realize how lucky we were to live part of the year near such a beautiful place.

As the sun appeared over the rim of the Gros Ventre range its beams were somewhat blocked by a small cloud and so the Grand didn’t awaken with the usual bright burst of sunlight. It was still a beautiful sight and it made me wish I had climbed the Grand when I was younger. I thought that perhaps it would be a goal for next year, after all others have climbed it at a more advanced age.

We decided to head to the oxbow area and hope to see some bears, but we soon found ourselves in the midst of a buffalo, (bison jamb). Bulls were fighting, and moms and calves were looking worried as some idiots forced their cars through the herd, (I can’t imagine being so busy to not take a few minutes to enjoy a buffalo jam). I was hoping a bull would take offense and do a little structural reengineering to their cars but no such luck. It would have made a great you tube video!

Arriving at the oxbows we watched mergansers and gadwalls, but no bears. A little further we met a young couple full timing in a popup pickup camper. They had gotten married and took off for a year of adventure. What a wonderful way to start off their life together!

Turning south towards Jenny lake we hoped to see more elk but it was not to be. Still we stopped to admire Mount Moran and of course I had to tell Renita the story of my climb up Mount Teewinot, (She had only heard it about fifty times before).

Our last stop of the day was at the park headquarters where I paid my ten dollars, showed my driver license, and got my lifetime senior pass! Now if the idiots in congress will not shut down the government and all the parks……

I had one more birthday plan and that was to fly fish the Gros Ventre River. I have always had success there and I was excited as I took my first step into the stream. Casting my favorite nymphs, I slowly worked my way upstream.

I was surprised that I had no takers as the setup works so well in all the western streams, but before I could try anything else a lightening filled storm cloud neared and it was time to call it a day. Renita drove back to Thayne though rain and the storms were far from over. As we neared home the sky blackened and it looked like the storm was building to a climax!

A dark wall cloud appeared and I could see a greenish coloring behind it. I watched for rotation but luckily didn’t see any so I went inside as the storm arrived. It started to hail and blow and we were in the heaviest hail storm we have ever been in. Luckily the hail was small, but it formed windrows and covered the ground. Finally the storm passed and the stars came out. It was the perfect ending to a hectic but great birthday. Clear skies

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a great birthday - thanks for sharing it with us! - C

    ReplyDelete