Monday, August 11, 2014

Kayaking from the Creamery to McCoy Road, The Salt River, Wyoming



Renita, Val and I pushed off into the Salt and the current quickly took our yaks around the first meander. Val's kayak is fourteen feet long and not as maneuverable as ours and so she was swept into a tree and promptly swept into the water. I paddled over and helped her ashore, glad that Renita and I had more stable and agile sit inside kayaks.
Floating again Val gained her rhythm and quickly we passed the first take out point below the Creamery. The river had risen about a foot from all the recent downpours but it was still clear. I had checked the water levels that morning and saw that it was still below the flood stage and so we felt confident that the float would be safe. It was just so much faster and while I tried to fish I didn't have any luck.
In less then three hours were were at the second takeout where George waited. He told us the fishing was great but the catching was terrible and so we continued to the Swimming Pool landing. There Renita took out and Val and I decided to float to the McCoy road bridge.
The first part of the float was fun with some easy rapids that Renita would have enjoyed but they became more intense and we decided that she had made a wise decision. The strong current had caved in large willows and so the outsides of the meanders were to be avoided as being swept into them would be really bad, (Renita had heard that  another resident at our rv resort had almost drown the week before while floating in his pontoon fishing float).
Another meander and rapids and we saw an island ahead. A large tree had fallen across the left channel blocking any safe passage. Instead we took the right channel and the strong current and rocks made us concentrate on avoiding obstacles.
Entering the next strong rapids Val again fell off her kayak but I had attached a rope to a throwing line and she caught it as she floated by clinging to her yak. I was able to tow her to the shore where she rested before climbing back aboard.
We passed two fisherman anchored against willows dead falls and I was glad I hadn't taken my pole on this last stretch. Another island appeared and I was able to take the left passage. Val meanwhile, had become high centered with her yak as she struggled to follow me. I stopped downstream and held onto some grass as I waited for her to appear.
Breathing a sigh of relief I spied the bow of her kayak and checking that everything was okay we rested a bit before heading around the next bend. Suddenly the McCoy Bridge appeared and even though the current tried to speed us past it we were both able to enter the small opening and paddle to the take out.
Renita and George appeared and we now had another story that we could tell. It was a challenging float for us and Renita was glad she had decided to forgo the last section. She would have been okay, as her kayak is quicker to respond, but she would not have enjoyed it.
Personally I would float it again but only with other experienced yakers. If you ever decide to float this section be sure to wear your life jackets! The strong currents, snags and fun and exciting rapids demand that you pay attention, ( the rapids are just easy class two). Clear skies

No comments:

Post a Comment