Friday, January 9, 2015

Bypassing Houston, Adding an extra Hour

I really don't like driving through Houston. Last year I actually had another truck hit my mirror during a traffic jam. So after talking with Renita we decided to head south at Winnie and then west to the Galveston Ferry.
It was a really easy and pleasant drive top the ferry. Of course the ferry guards had me turn off the fifth wheels propane tanks and even had me connect the barbecue grill's tank to the grill as no unattached propane tanks are allowed. They also checked to make sure we didn't have any gas cans but I already knew about that and so we were allowed to load for the short trip across the harbor.
It took about fifteen minutes to cross and then we drove through Galveston. Stately old homes lined the way and much of the damage from the last hurricane has been repaired/rebuilt. The only problem with this route was all of the traffic lights which I managed to hit as they were turning red.
So we didn't save any time and in fact it added an hour to our journey trading the ferry and lights for the noon time traffic jam. At least it was easier then dealing with idiots. Maybe next year we will add a day and stay a night on the Bolivar Peninsula. Clear skies.

1 comment: