Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Floating the Salt River, from the Narrows to the Diversion Dam, 2015

After several weather delays the kayak group was finally able to float the Salt River. The morning was cold and cloudy but the rain held off as we unloaded the kayaks and moved vehicles to the take out point. The days float was from the Narrows to the Diversion Dam, a planned float of about two hours.
I had floated the stretch before, about two years ago in our canoe, and I was excited to see how our shorter kayaks would perform. On that float I had paddled alone but today Renita, Val, and about twenty others would join us in a day of excitement!
After launching the group quickly spread out and soon Renita and I were by ourselves. Fish were taking flies off the surface of the river and I wished I had brought my fly rod. Soon however the river entered a stretch of meanders and it became impossible for me to fish.
Meander after meander passed as the river sometimes divided into three channels. This forced us into making snap decisions as to which route we should take. It was Renitas first time floating this stretch and she did an admirable job of staying away from the strainers.
After floating under the third bridge the river became a twisted series of tight bends! Even though we were in shorter kayaks, Renita’s is ten feet and mine is twelve, we still were caught by eddies and had our yaks turned one hundred and eighty degrees. This ran us aground and necessitated us pushing off, sometimes backwards, before quickly rotating and heading the bow downstream.
Several times Renita’s kayak brushed into overhanging trees but she was able to avoid going over in the fast and cold water. Well done Renita! We stopped and rested several times, discussing our strategy, and several other members of the group caught up with us.
Some of the group had been grounded on shallow spots and one had capsized, having to swim to recover their kayak. It had warmed up to fifty four degrees and I was glad Renita and I stayed dry. We reached a high rounded hill and I knew the take out point was near.
Rounding a bend we could see Val waving us over to the take out point and we were all smiles as we had successfully floated the Salt. The river was higher than during my previous float and much faster. Some of the group had finished it in one and a half hours, but Renita and I had lazed in several stretches as we watched for birds.

All in all it was great day for the newly formed RV park kayak group. A special thank you to Cindy and Bruce for organizing the expedition! Clear skies

1 comment: