Monday, September 28, 2015

The Super Moon Lunar Eclipse, Star Valley, Wyoming

I am not really sure where the name, "Super Moon", came from as the moon is simply at perhilion. This is the point where its closet to the earth. Anyway the eclipse forecast here was not good as cloudy skies threatened, still I set my camera up and took a few images of a gorgeous sunset.
Watching the football game I set a timer but every time I went out the clouds and mountains blocked the view. At halftime a patch of clear skies appeared and there it was, the moon at totality! Grabbing the new camera I went out and tried to take some images, (the above image is the best one I took with the 75-305, the next four were with the smaller lens).
I tried to use the truck as a stable platform but a neighbors stupid trees were in the way, (I don't understand why people want to plant trees and block every one's view of the mountains and sunsets).
Anyway I was able to move over to another spot and started to take image after image.
Going inside I was dismayed to discover that the 75-305 telephoto lens just didn't have a low enough focal setting to allow me to capture a good image, The moon did show up, barely, so I switched out the large lens to the 28-75mm and actually got a good but blurry image.
Later I went out and took some images of the moon as it left the earths shadow. The contrast between the shadow and sunlit moon caused more problems but at least I could see the curve of the shadow of the earth, (one of the proofs that the earth was round).
So it worked out and we were able to see the eclipse. Now I have to do some research in preparation for the upcoming Total Eclipse of the Sun, August 21, 2017. Plan your trip here as the totality path is only thirty miles north of here! Rooms are already going fast in Jackson, Wyoming, (seriously)!
Clear skies

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this from those of us who missed it! C

    ReplyDelete