Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Lookout Mountain

I was lucky enough growing up to have lived close, six blocks, to a Carnegie library. As a small child, I remember the day when I was old enough to check out books at the adult library. Flying up the stairs I got my adult library card and decided that I would read every book on the shelves.
Of course I never had a chance but I did read every science fiction and history book I could and if I hadn’t become a science teacher my next choice would have been history.
So since we have been traveling, we have now been on the road starting our ninth year, I have tried to visit places I have taught or read about. You can probably guess why we were in Chattanooga, I wanted to visit the Chickamauga Battlefield and Lookout Mountain.
Stopping at The Chickamauga Visitor Center we were given a map, detailed directions, and told of the new phone guided tour number. It would allow us to dial a prerecorded number, enter the site number, and get a description of what we were looking for at that stop. Wow did it work great!
So the next morning we got up and hurried off to Lookout Mountain. Now the battle for Lookout Mountain took place after the Battle of Chickamauga but there was a reason for the order. From the Lookout Mountain’s Point Park one can see Moccasin Bend, Chattanooga, Seminary Ridge, and Browns Ferry.
Lookout Mountain actually fell before the final battle when the Confederates withdrew their troops and cannons, trying to shore up their defenses on Seminary Ridge. The drive up to Point Park was over narrow and winding roads that were not easily navigated by out truck, (we got there early and were able to get a parking spot behind the visitor center, and we would not have fit in a street parking spot).
Looking down we could see Browns Ferry, which Grant’s troops secured, relieving the Federals troops besieged by Braxton Bragg, (the Confederate General). Inside the visitors center is an amazingly detailed and huge painting of the Battle of Lookout Mountain.


It is so detailed that you can actually see the rings of smoke from the cannon fire and see how the up slope wind carried the smoke rings up the mountain. After studying the painting we next walked to the Peace Monument and then to each Confederate Battery.
At one of the viewpoints there were displays of signal flags and hardtack, a whole case! Time however was not on our side and so we returned to the truck and headed down the mountain to the Chickamauga Battlefield. End of part One. Clear skies

No comments:

Post a Comment