Thursday, January 14, 2016

A Hot Black Drum Bite in Copano Bay

It didn’t take long before I got the hoped for bite. A couple of light taps and then my pole doubled as the black drum took off on a run. Lifting my rod high I hoped the fish wouldn’t get my line tangled in the sharp oyster beds.
The tide was running out and so the fish crossed all of our lines as we moved poles trying to keep from making a giant mess. The fish actually circled the boat before making another nice run. Finally bringing the fish close to the boat Dave reached out and netted the beautiful twenty four inch black drum.
Arriving in Rockport I heard that there was a great black drum bite going on. Renita and I had purchased our fishing license and had spent a less then fruitful afternoon at the Goose Island State Park pier. Still we had seen several keeper sheephead and one forty inch black drum being caught and released.
So the next day, when Dave asked me if I wanted to go out in his boat I jumped at the chance! It was a calm day, somewhat unusual here, and we quickly ran out to the intracoastal. Passing oyster bed after oyster bed Dave turned the boat into a narrow channel before easing up to a protruding shelf.
I eased the anchor in and having a good set cast toward the edge of the oyster bar. Nothing happened for a while until I got a couple of light taps. Sometimes a red drum will take the bait lightly and swallow the hook as it lays down. Starting to wind in I had a good fight on my hands but it was an undersized red, called a rat here. I had to cut my line to keep from injuring the fish as it had swallowed my circle hook.
Moving to another bar our luck changed, Dave had found the fish and it was a hectic time as we alternated catching beautiful slot fish, (black drum have to be between 14-30 inches to keep). It didn’t take long and we put the last fish in the cooler. Fresh fish for dinner tonight!

The pelicans, gulls, and herons all crowded us as we cleaned the fish. We weren’t the only ones having fresh fish on the menu. Thank you Captain Dave! Clear skies

1 comment: