Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Paving Paradise, My Last Day of 2017 Fishing on The Greys River in Wyoming


The ladies were going shopping and so George and I opted for a last day of fishing on the Greys. Hunting season is going on and so we hoped there wouldn’t be too much fishing pressure. Driving up the road, I simply had to stop several times to take in the beauty of the valley. Snow covered the high alpine landscape and the cirques, telling us to remember the coming winter. The aspens were starting to turn, and frost glazed the grassy meadows.
Reaching one of our favorite fishing spots, we stopped and geared up. It’s cold now and so that usually means fishing nymphs. We both put on a double nymph setup with split shot and strike indicators. Walking to the stream I made several casts before my indicator moved and I set the hook on a nice mountain whitefish.
Releasing the lively fish, I made several more casts and hooked and released another whitefish. They are fun to catch but we were looking for the native Snake River cut throats. Gorge moved down to where I was fishing and we decided to drive upriver.
We passed quite a few hunting camps but didn’t see any game hanging to cool. Reaching the next spot, an unlikely looking meander, it wasn’t long before I saw George fighting a nice fish. I went to the truck and got my landing net as I wanted to get a picture of George with the beautiful cut.
He fought the fish and expertly guided the beautiful fish to my waiting net. It was a nice fat fish, about seventeen inches long, and after a quick coupe of pictures, he released the fish back into its home. Returning to the stream we both fished some more but didn’t have any more luck.
Heading further upstream, we tried another spot where we have had some great days, but it was to no avail. The fish simply weren’t interested. George said he knew of another place further upstream. Upon rounding a bend, I stopped the truck as neither one of us could believe what we were seeing! Before us was any eyesore beyond belief, a newly paved air strip.
It dominated the narrow floodplain. It was truly amazing to both of us the someone could be so crass, so insensitive to the beauty of the wild river, as to put such a blight on the landscape. I later learned that the Lincoln County Commission had, in 2013 despite strong opposition, approved a twenty-plot development of million-dollar homes. One such web page said that they would even put in a convenience store and gas station!
We drove a little further up the Greys River Road but time was running out and so we turned around. Passing the airstrip, (did I mention there were more no trespassing signs in that short stretch then exits along the rest of the sixty-mile long stream), I stopped to take an image of the eyesore.
Further downstream we stopped at our last spot and George caught and released a small cut. I finally hooked one but the fish pulled off. I joked with George that my fish was larger than his, after all the one that gets away usually is!
I guess some call it progress, some look at it as an addition to the counties tax base, but to me the development and air strip is simply an eyesore. I do hope someone is monitoring the water quality in the valley. At least then there will be some continued documentation of the destruction of a once wild river valley. Clear skies


1 comment:

  1. What a shame. The rich continue to rape the land for their enjoyment and profit. Good fish story.

    ReplyDelete