Saturday, October 28, 2017

Galveston island State Park

We left Lake Texoma and headed south to Livingston. There we stayed at the Escapees Park where we have our mail forwarding service.  Unfortunately, our water heater burned up. Now we had already repaired it in Wyoming, and it has worked fine until now. Calling a mobile rv service, we agreed with the technician and had the water heater replaced.
From there we headed south for a week at Galveston Island State Park. It was a short but difficult drive as heavy rains followed us along most of the way. We luckily, didn’t have any flooding on the Bolivar Peninsula and the skies cleared as we drove onto the ferry.
Arriving at the Galveston Island State park we got a great site at the back bay. The view of the back bay was exceptional, we were only 100 feet from the water,, and we could bird right from our easy chairs. Marbled godwits fed in the campground and great blue herons fed out the back window. Later, a rosette spoonbill landed and rested. It was a bright pink, surprising as it’s not breeding season
The park also provided us with lots of places to walk and we were able exercise every day. Fishing in Texas state parks is free to all who pay an entry fee and, so we had to headed to the beach. Renita caught the first fish, a gaff top sail catfish, and she out fished me with two more catfish, a whiting, and a stingray.
I did catch a few fish myself, but we threw them all back. Taking advantage of the seafood restaurants we, ate fresh local shrimp, hushpuppies, and fried catfish. We both paid for it later as our blood sugar numbers went up. Mine really peaked as I had a sweetened ice tea, lesson learned.
Upon entry we were told that a grooved billed ani was sighted in the park. It’s a rare bird here and one we don’t have on our life list. Each morning I walked along the park roads looking for the bird. An osprey sat each day in a dead tree, and I did spot a Couch’s Kingbird. Too bad we never could see the ani.
A strong cold front rolled across the bay and we watched the approaching storm with foreboding. The front raced across the water and winds in excess of fifty knots threatened to upset our fifth wheel. We were in a spot where the wind hit us cross ways and, so we spent a very uncomfortable few hours rocking and rolling.
No damage was done! It was the strongest wind we have experienced since we got hit with a micro burst while camping on Flaming Gorge Reservoir. There the fifth wheel seemed to lift before bouncing back down, again without any damage.

Now we are readying ourselves to drive the last one hundred and eighty miles to Rockport, Texas. There we will park the rig for the next five months, and even take a vacation to Florida, staying in a beach bungalow, (I know some of you think we are always on vacation, but we are not, (we are simply retired)! Clear skies

1 comment:

  1. Some people just don't understand the fulltimer vacation thing. Hope the repair works for you.