Saturday, July 21, 2018

A Great Week on the Grey, Paddling the Mouth of the Grey



We finished our last show at the Barn, which is the large recreation hall in our rv park, and now had some down time for rest and relaxation. Of course, that meant pickleball, fishing and paddling. Not that we don’t have other things we like doing but the bears are up high along with most of the wildlife.
It had been a while since we last played pickleball, and the courts were crowded! There are now over two hundred and forty pickle ball members of our Star Valley Pickle Ball Club, and we only have eight courts, (four more are under construction and four more are planned).
Still we managed to get four matches in two hours and it was obvious that we hadn’t played in a while. The temperatures here are in the upper eighties and low nineties, but at least the humidity is low and so the exercise is bearable. We started playing a little after eight and by ten thirty we had enough fun!
The next day George and I went fly fishing and I had the best day in quite a while. The morning started off slow, I caught and released three Snake river cuts, but I spotted a nice fish rising and carefully snuck up to the hole.
Trying not to spook the fish I cast my dry fly and the fish rose and missed the fly as I tried to set the hook too soon. Casting again and again I almost gave up when the fish took the fly, it was fish on! Fighting the nice fish, it was a fourteen-inch fish, I got lucky as the fish swam into an undercut bank and wrapped the line around a stick. Sticking my flyrod into the snag, I was able to get the line free and landed and released the cutthroat.
Moving upstream, I spooked several more fish before arriving at a great looking hole. Before I made my first cast, I saw a great fish make a rise and on my cast the fish ate the fly, fish on! I was able to land the fish and take several images of the seventeen-inch fish before releasing it unharmed into its home. It wa my largest cutthroat in quite a while.
Another cast and another fish hit. I made six casts and caught six different fish, something that has never happened to me while fishing wild native fish. George arrived, and I sat down and told him to make a cast. We were both surprised when, he missed a fish and then three more before finally hooking another nice cut.
It had been a superb day and so we called it quits, walked back to the truck, and after lunch called it a day. Returning home Renita and Val arrived after a busy day shopping at the Jackson Art Fair. George and I were both glad we had the opportunity to go fishing instead of shopping.
Two days later Renita Val and I loaded the kayaks and drove to Alpine. Wyoming. Val had found an excellent place to launch the kayaks and we headed up the mouth of the Grey River. The river’s mouth was flooded by Palisades’ Reservoir and so we didn’t have to fight any current.
The sides of the canyon narrowed as we paddled and after a mile of easy kayaking we started to encounter a strong current. It was too strong to continue so we let the river carry us back down till we reached still water.
A slight wind had started to blow up the canyon, (during the day a hot wind blows up the valley and reverses at night when cold dense air flows back down, these are called mountain-valley breezes). We had to paddle against the waves, but they were relatively small and when we reached the mouth, the wind died down. It was an easy morning of paddling and we all enjoyed paddling at a new place! 
It’s been a fun week of fun. We only have one more show for the year and its only a one day show in Alpine, Wyoming. Lots of time to grind rocks, play more pickle ball, fish and kayak. Monday, we plan to return up the Grey for another days fishing. Every day is a blessing! Clear skies

1 comment:

  1. Pickleball yaking and fishing rather than shopping I would say that is a great week.

    ReplyDelete