Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Dolphins


I didn’t have a bite on the first cast, but the next two resulted in bumps, which usually means small fish. Another cast and I was hooked up. Fighting the undersized trout in I released it hoping that the thrashing of the fish had not alerted another fisherman.
My hope was to no avail as I saw a triangular shaped fin approaching. Hoping it was a shark, (I like grilled fresh shark) the fish turned out to be a dolphin that made a circle on the school of fish and I knew I might as well quit fishing till it left. He shows up every morning after I catch my first fish.
Now I like dolphins. They are fun to watch as they cavort with one another but when you are fishing, that is another matter. While their presence means that there is bait/fish in the area, when they become aggressive and start to feed you might as well quit or move to another spot.
Sure, enough my fish had scattered, and I didn’t get another hit for thirty minutes.  I changed my crankbaits, but nothing happened until the dolphin had left and I finally hooked another small fish. It was also undersized and so I safely released it.
I never did catch another fish, but several other fishermen showed up and it was time to call it quits. At least I had caught two, that’s two more than if I had stayed in our fifth wheel. Oh, and all three of us did practice social distancing.
Returning home, I told Renita about the mornings fishing and after breakfast I set up in our hummingbird blind, (the back end of our Subaru). The hummers did show up and I got images of a black chinned and a ruby throated hummer. In both I had the shutter set for sports mode and I was able to take images in which the wing feathers showed details of the feathers.
The rest of the day was mundane as, picking up our prescriptions and making a grocery store run. We do wear our masks and now that the restrictions are being slowly eased, we will still limit our contacts. Both of us so want to head back to our home in Wyoming, and there is resentment towards us. You don’t see it at the stores, but you do see it online. Trust me will leave as soon as we can.  Clear skies

1 comment: