Monday, March 19, 2012

Matagorda Bay Nature Park

I saw a glimpse of pink and turned as three bright pink rosette spoonbills passed by flying toward the Gulf. Not far away greedy brown pelicans were feeding on schools of tightly packed fry, as laughing gulls and Caspian terns plunged into the fray. Too relaxed to move and watch the frenzy up close I simply sat as the pelicans dipped their beaks and then lifted them into the air, expelling water and swallowing their breakfast.
We had finally left Fulton for maintaince and then three days of prepping at a luxury rv park in Aransas Pass. Wyoming and Alaska beckons, but its too early to move far north so we only drove 120 miles to Matagorda Bay Nature Park. There we were greeted by friendly staff and we parked our rig on the edge of the Colorado River,(Texas's Colorado River), where it empties into the Gulf of Mexico.

Setting up, we decided to take a stroll to the nearby Gulf beach and make a circuit of the walkway spit and jetty. Passing do not swim signs we saw several families with small children daring the surf and rip tides and it made us wonder how so many children survive their youth. Passing them the surf was whipped into a maelstrom of pounding waves and I simply shook my head.

A pair of lovers were embracing with a bit too much passion for a public place and we hurried by them trying not to stare,(we don't see many people in the Red Desert of Wyoming). Shells were strewn everywhere and Renita started to hunt for sea glass. I told here we had enough already but it didn't matter and so I also glanced at the surfs edge, hoping for some nice color.

After dinner I set out my poles and even caught a gaff sail catfish, which is pretty good to eat, but I released it as I didn't want to bother myself by having to clean a single fish. I didn't catch anymore but missed several hits by small fish. After having switched to circle hooks the catching has been pretty easy, at least when a big fish bites as the circle hooks the fish without any help. In fact you don't/shouldn't try to set the hook as simply waiting for the fish to do its job usually works and the hook allows for most fish to be released unharmed.

Winding my poles in I walked back to our fifth wheel and putting them away, Molly greeted me at the door. I am sure she was wondering why I hadn't taken her along but she had already had a huge walk with us. A cold front with possible dangerous storms should arrive tomorrow and so we may be house bound and glued to our smart phone, watching radar maps, but that's tomorrow. Clear skies


2 comments:

  1. Travel Safe. We have decided that we are going to go to Alaska. We will be in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you're on the move! Spring has sprung! We're watching storms today too - went to houma for cardiologists appts - were fine and made it home before the first rainfall. Gary's mom is having a pacemaker put in tomarrow - it came up really fast but I guess it's just an overnite stay when you have one. Take care, love, c

    ReplyDelete