Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Padre Island National Seashore 2012, Seaweed

You cast out and the line would quickly enmesh itself in seaweed. Then the longshore drift would sweep your mess down current and you would began the arduous chore of dragging in a mass of weed and kelp like material. Rebaiting and recasting, your line would stay clear for about a minute and then you would soon began anew the dragging process.
Arriving at the PINS Visitor Center we learned that he beach driving was poor, (not really as the rain had packed the sand), and that there was lots and lots of seaweed. We decided to try driving anyway and although the tide was still high we were able to follow tracks alongside the shore and it wasn't really that bad. There were lots of tree trunks and sea weed but we didn't have to worry about getting stuck!
After driving a few miles south we stopped at a break between cars and started to fish, or at least tried to fish. I soon gave up in disgust and ate my lunch while Roy kept casting and cleaning. I watched in amazement as he caught two whiting and then a pompano! As pompano is my favorite fish I finished lunch and waded back out into the surf.
I watched Roy cast out and determined he was throwing into the second cut and switching poles I actually missed a bite. Rebaitng, my line started to become entangled in seaweed when the fish struck and then took off on a drag burning run. I knew it was a nice fish and here I was using a tiny circle hook.
Working the fish in I had to stop and grab handfuls of weeds, tearing them off my line. Then I would tighten my line and hope the fish was still there. I had forty pound power braid and a twenty pound mono leader so I felt pretty good about the line holding, as long as it wasn't a shark.
Actually gaining ground I saw the color of the fish and realized it was a really large legal black drum. Renita came down to watch and eventually I was able to drag the fish onto the shore. Measuring twenty five inches it was the largest slot sized black drum I have ever caught, (black drum must be between 14 and 28 inches to keep), I held the fish up for an image and then put it on ice. Finally a fish!
We didn't catch much else, another whiting was added to the cooler, and too soon it was time to leave. The drive back had the inevitable wait at the ferry, (Spring break is here and the place is packed), but it wasn't too long and the new ferry's really helped move all the cars across. Home and cleaning fish and then dinner at Los Comales but that's another story. This day was all about pompano and seaweed and a big black drum! Clear skies.

1 comment:

  1. Nice fish, Glad you see you have a line back in the water.

    ReplyDelete