Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Waiting out the Cold in Rapid City

We continued our northward sprint by driving three legs from Oklahoma to Kansas, next to Nebraska, and finally a leg to Rapid City, South Dakota. The first two legs were really pretty boring as we drove past wheat fields and oil wells and that was pretty much it. The third leg became scenic as we drove into the pine trees north of Chadron, Nebraska and as we skirted the Black Hills.
Of course we had to stop at the Cabelas in Sidney and there I bought a new fly rod and reel. Now I had been using one I got from my Grandpa Huber, so long ago, and it still works and catches fish but it is an old automatic and is extremely awkward when casting and reeling in. I had already decided to buy the best reel I could find and so now I am a proud owner of a Ross reel and matching fly rod(I sold a gold necklace that I had bought years ago). I hope to break it in in Wyoming before we head across the border and I have even located my trout flies.
Arriving at Rapid, we enjoyed two nice days and then the bottom dropped out of the thermometer. Temps dipped to the thirties at night and the wind howled as rain buffeted our fifth wheel. At least it wasn't snow and it did snow in Custer South, Dakota and the Bighorns of Wyoming. So we were at a good place, Three Flags Rv Park, where it cost eighteen bucks a night,(Passport America), for full hookups with thirty amp power.
On the way up I had noticed that the storage cover, wooden. had broken and so I decided to make a new cover for our heavy and awkward generator. By having it in the back of the pickup it allows us to easily connect to the fifth wheel. As we do a lot of boondocking and dry camping we can charge our battery banks and run the furnace as needed,(and its running right now off the batteries).
We also felt we needed to replace our tires, before our trip to Alaska, and so we went to a Michelein dealer who had the tires I wanted, XPS Ribs. They only cost, ahem, fourteen hundred and fifty dollars but our old tires were damaged from the suspension collapse and we wanted the best. Even though it meant we would have to forgo buying more rocks it was a necessary purchase, so now we have new tires that should last quite a while!
So now we have reached Wyoming and are dry camping. Three buck white tails approached our back window and an owl paid a visit last night so all is well. Our next order of business is for us to do our yearly doctor visits, getting our prescriptions renewed and seeing the kids. Clear skies

No comments:

Post a Comment