Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Crossing the Border, Red Deer


It didn’t seem possible that just yesterday we were viewing paintings by C M. Russell with Nancy and Jim. Here we were today four hundred and eight miles north in the Canadian town of Red Deer!

The border crossing and inspections were almost nothing as it took less thirty minutes for us to answer questions, show our passports, go inside to pay the fee for transporting my two longruns. Not to mention the time included the lecture I received on the improper safe storage for said transited guns.

So we left the border by ten fifty, (Renita timed us), and were in Lethbridge before noon. Now I had been kind of pissed at the thought of paying fifty dollars for a night’s parking at the Bridgeview Rv park and so I asked Renita if she felt up to trying for Red Deer. She agreed with me as we were both still pumped from the smooth border crossing.

The wind picked up and the mileage dropped but we were able to fill up at a town before Calgary. Paying 1.14.9 Canadian per liter seemed strange but it is what it is and I am too tired right now to do any conversions. Traffic increased and by the time we were in Calgary it was quite heavy although it never became a traffic jam.

Of course I was tired but we pushed without much letup in traffic. On  the north side of the city I saw a Bass Pro Shop  and we were able to stop and buy the trigger locks I needed to make the guns safe.

The traffic let up a little, but not much as we drove to Red Deer. At least the road was good four lane highway and the wind abated making it an ok but boring drive. The mountains to the west had disappeared but the trees were starting to show up, breaking the monotony of the wheat fields. When will we reach the tioga?

Setting up was easy and dinner was quickly cooked, healthy hotdogs and French fries, and I for one can’t wait until we have some fresh fish, regardless of the species. A friend of ours raves about the salmon from Alaska, but to me the best fish I have ever eaten are the ones I have just caught and cooked the same day, regardless of species. Clear skies.

No comments:

Post a Comment