Monday, January 7, 2013

St Petersburg Sunken Garden

I am unable to upload images due to the rotten connection.


We did play tourist one last day and Jenny met us at the Sunken Garden. The Sunken Garden was once a sinkhole that was purchased by a private individual and then adorned with exotic plants and trees from around the world.
As we strolled along the walkways I marveled at the colors. It seems that the brilliant colors in the plant world are often toxic which is a lot like the rock world that makes up our art. The bright yellows made me think of bumblebee agate which we discovered is really dangerous realgar, and yet sold to unsuspecting buyers. The bright greens remind me of the copper ores which are actually safe for the wearer but dangerous for the lapidarist, and so we have quit working them.
AS we walked I marveled at the tall bamboos, the strange palms and shrubs. I waited to see a troop of monkeys in the forest canopy, but that insanity hasn't happened here,(St Pete did have a wild monkey but it was finally captured in a trap by using bananas as a lure). Several small aviaries dotted the area and so we saw our first flamingos and kookaburras along with sveral exotic macaws.
The macaws let out loud screeches but the kookaburras never let forth with their signature set of laughs. Still I thought of the call that one hears so much in Hollywood's jungle movies. It was an enjoyable last day in St Petersburg and so I will just shut up and post some images of a place worth seeing.
Clear skies

No comments:

Post a Comment