Sunday, May 29, 2016

Looking for Morels, Still Looking

I was extremely lucky growing up. My dad was an outstanding woodsman and he took us along when he hunted for springtime morels. He also taught us many of the plants and so we also picked wild leeks, enjoyed the beauty of jack in the pulpits, and savored the smell of Northeast Iowa's forests.
When we moved out to Wyoming I approached the wild places the same way, always hoping to find out what was and what wasn't available as I walked the mountain trails, (the ruffed grouse has nothing to do with the mushroom hunt but was an added bonus and Renita spotted it).
Yarrow root was quite tasty and reminded me of wild leeks but it is also sometimes confused with death camas. Hint, anytime the word death is used in a plants name don't pick or eat it. I also found death angels, a wild and poisonous mushroom. However I did occasionally find wild morels in eastern Wyoming, a real spring time treat.
So I decided to make an effort this year to find some morels. The first day we headed up the Grey's River Road. Stopping at each pull off we climbed in elevation until we reached the Little Grey. There we headed east but we never did find any tasty morsels. Part of the fun of hiking in the spring time is to find treasures and I did find a large femur, from possibly a moose or large bull, I hope its a moose.
We did see spring lilies and lots of service berry plants, all full of blossoms, so hopefully this August we can pack and can jars of delicious jam and jellies. There was quite a bit of snow and so it seemed to us to be too early.
Another day we went into the park looking for bears. We didn't find any but I did check out some dead trees and did find what I thought at first were morels. However when I picked one I discovered it had a detached cap and the inside was filled with a cotton like substance.
Now some people do cook false morels and boil them first in an attempt to get rid of the poisonous toxins. I don't like the idea of boiling first. Furthermore the toxin has a cumulative effect and so if you don't get it all out you eventually get sick and die.
So I left the false morels and hope to contiue the great hunt today. If I can only find a few I can saute them and add them as a sidedish and I will truely have a gourmet meal, did I say they are selling here for thirty five dollars a pound? Thank you Dad for all the times you took us along! We were truely blessed! Clear skies

2 comments:

  1. Loved the service berry jam you gave us! My friend in Iowa said morels at an auction went for $l35 a lb, and Judy in Decorah said they were really late this year and were going for $20 a lb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interest post. Wild plants scare me about as much as wild beasts.

    ReplyDelete