Thursday, September 1, 2016

Jen and Eric's Wedding

They called it the first look, or something equally romantic. It’s the moment when the father of the bride sees his daughter in her wedding gown. The father stood on the alcove until his daughter touches his shoulder and turning there she is. The little girl who once wore rabbit ears was now a stunning woman grown, where did the years go?
We had flown to North Carolina for our daughter’s wedding. Guests had arrived from as far away as San Francisco. The couple has been blessed with so many friends and family. The destination wedding, at a mountain resort allowed us to meet the groom’s family and friends.
Now we stood poised to walk down the sandy beach and of course it started to pour as a torrential mountain downpour swept over the ridge. The wedding facilitator and others quickly ignored the rain and carried the folding chairs into the reception building, a rustic dance hall and speakeasy built in 1904.
It all fit into the theme, a nineteen twenties wedding. The guests were mostly dressed in flapper dresses, zoot suits, knickers and bow ties. Waiting at the door the music started, the theme song from Jurassic Park, and I made a few steps before bursting into tears. Trying to smile we walked slowly down the aisle and reaching the minister, Jen’s Aunt Mona. I still tried to smile but I was simply overcome with emotion and love as I handed her to the bridegroom.
The words were all said, stories of love told and sacred vows exchanged. Renita and I cried but we were not alone as I glanced at the groom’s parents. Her dad, also named Mark and her Mom were all we could hope for. Jen was marrying into a close knit and loving family.
Later we gathered in the speakeasy as the rain finally stopped and heading back upstairs the music begin and the dances followed. The newlyweds smiled as they danced their first dance and then it was the groom and his mother's turn.
Now it was my time to dance with Jen and the song I had picked was one of my favorites. It was a 1930’s jazz recording of Summertime, sung by Bille Holiday. When I was a teacher I would start singing it every May and here I was trying to follow the words.
The dance floor itself was filled with dancing and artistry. At least seven of the guests, were or had been professional dancers and the movements and energy filled the hall. Jen herself was once a member of a professional Jazz Dance Company and she picked up her train and did her steps with ease.

The last dance played and it was time to wish our families and friends goodbye. I never got to make my toast, I know I would have botched it and broke into more tears of joy, and so I write it here, “ To Jen and Eric, and to the family and friends. May the blessings and friendships from this marriage last through time.” Clear skies

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful comments and beautiful wedding! C

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great theme, what a neat wedding. Congrats to Jen and Eric.

    ReplyDelete