Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Fishing, Birding, and A Rock Show: What could be better?

 


It has been a busy last two weeks, so busy that I have not taken the time to update the blog. The fish are biting, and we have eaten fresh fish. Added to that we made a trip to Lamar, looking for the whoopers, and even though they have not arrived there I got some good images of other birds. I also bought a new camera, a Canon 90D, dslr and so far we are happy with our results. Finally, we also traveled to Houston to the Houston Gem and Mineral Show where we got great new rocks!

Dave and I went to a spot along our shoreline, and we caught fish. Actually quite a few, as I caught four redfish in five casts. None were keeper size, but it was a fun. As I watched my bobber, I saw a huge sheep head swim past me, but I could not get it to bite.


We decided to go to our rv parks fishing pier and there we caught three keeper sheep head. Here a keeper must be over fifteen inches, and these were larger! Dave and I shared the fish and we both ended up with enough for a meal of beer battered fish! It was so nice eat fresh fish.

I have been saving up for a new camera, ours is pretty old, and finally I had enough to buy a new Canon 90D. While our old camera took great images, the far away ones lacked the resolution I wanted. The pictures here were all taken at a distance and the birds are,


an eastern bluebird,

three sandhill cranes, and a scissors tail fly catcher.

If you read our blog, be prepared to see lots of bird pictures. Our friends Barb and Dan also bought the same camera, and we look forward to seeing them to compare notes and images. All of our lens fit so we now have two cameras, one for Renita and one for me. We will still use the old waterproof camera when we are kayaking.


This last weekend we traveled to Houston where we stayed with Angie and Pete. He is a retired geologist and loves rocks as much as we do. The dealers were the same ones we had seen two years ago, and we found most of the rocks we were after. Now we need to limp by for the rest of the month as we spent more than we had planned. The time to buy something is when you see it and not regret ever making the purchase.

It has been a busy two weeks. A front is moving through this week and there will not be any fishing for a while. We have two meals of the fish in the freezer, as Dave and I went out and caught two black drum, one keeper red, and three sheep head.

Clear skies

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Fish, rocks, birds and a new camera, life is good. Stay safe and healthy.

    ReplyDelete