Friday, July 13, 2012

July 12th, 2012: Fishing for Sockeye on the Kenai


July 12th, 2012: Fishing for Sockeye on the Kenai

It seemed like I had made a thousand casts. Each one was the same, a flip really and then a slow drag across the current, making sure the sinker was bouncing on the bottom. Finally a Kenai twitch before lifting my rod tip and flipping again into the water.

Without any warning I felt the power of a salmon as it came out of the water. I basically held on as the fish decided it wanted to head out into the current and it did. There was no way I could stop it as the swift current caught its body.

My drag was fine and I only hoped I and the hook would hold. A local fisherman told me he was ready with the net but he did say I would probably have to chase the fish downstream as that’s what usually happened when the fish gets into the main current.

It didn’t matter as the fish pulled off, but it was ok, cornbread makes a mighty fine dinner, along with a salad, and garlic bread of course. I cast for a while longer but it was not to be. The run is really just starting and we are leaving for Homer tomorrow.

I did get lots of advice and I did see others catch fish. The three main things I learned were that the best way to catch salmon is to be here when the main run reaches where you are. One local told me that you could catch fish by casting over your shoulder as the river was filled with fish.

Two others said the same thing that it’s all in being here when the numbers are high and so I felt good. I did have a large salmon on the end of my line and I had fished in the Kenai. The weather is forecast to be bad for a week or so as a large front is moving in and in a week or so the fish should be coming in by the tens of thousands. We will be back! Clear skies



Ps  We did have sockeye for dinner as we went to a local fish market and bought it. It made the corn bread taste better as I have been eating lots of cornbread without fish so far this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment