Wednesday, July 25, 2012

July 24th, 2012: More Salmon Fishing on the Kenai

I watched her as she cast over and over. I knew Renita had the right fly on and her fly rod tip was bouncing which meant she was on the bottom. Suddenly her pole doubled as a really large male was on and she tried to stop it as it ran for the swift current. Unfortunatly it was not meant to be and the fish jumped and then got off.
Wading over to Steve and Mike and I took some images of them fishing. They both had salmon on the stringer but it was a lot slower then yesterday,(the day before eighty four thousand came through the counter three miles below where we were standing).
A spot came open and I cast for a bit. Soon I was lucky and had two more salmon for the freezer. One was a really big male and oh my did it have huge fillets. The entertainment was again watching others fish and net their fish but it was still pretty slow. A man from Germany slipped on the wet rocks and fell into the river but he quickly got out and was  thankfully was ok, only soaked from head to feet.
Still Renita cast and cast. I tried to give her some pointers but she really didn't need any as she was doing fine. I cleaned the two I had and then sat down. It was almost twelve noon and time to go back.
With almost her last cast a fish was on and she fought it expertly while I grabbed a net. She had her first salmon on the Kenai! Clear skies.

1 comment: