Saturday, July 21, 2012

July 19-20, 2012, Fixing Stuff and a Lesson In Combat Fishing

As all who know that travel, its a constant job fixing stuff as it breaks so you can keep on moving. We have had some pesky minor and not so minor things and it was time to fix them. We had also gotten an email from two of our Class of 2007 members, who invited us to meet them in Soldotna.
So the fixing was first as I had to work on a cabinet and a slide. The cabinets, although wired for travel, sometimes seem to spring open and attempt to jam the slides. We usually catch it in time but this time we were not so lucky.
This time the slide actually stopped and we both heard a booming sound from the enclosed underside. Now the slide no longer opens all the way. Luckily we were able to close it and so we now have two slides instead of three. Still enough room and we should be ok till we get back to the lower forty eight.
So I fixed the cabinet hinges by removing them and rebending them with a vise I have carried but not used for three years. I also had to make a brace for a cabinet that seems to want to collapse a bit and it was the actual cause of the door springing open. Oh and the fold out counter extension metal bracket broke in two so I had to remove it till we get back to a place where we can order new brackets. Again nothing unusual just normal stuff that happens to fulltimers.
On a more positive note Steve and Sandy invited us over to their parking spot in Soldotna and Steve said he would show me how to combat fish. He has been really successful in catching sockeye and so Renita and I both were excited to learn form a "pro".
I took my pole down to the river in hopes of fishing but it was not to be. Fisherman lined the banks and there literally was not a place or a slot to move into. The fisherman were even fishing in the no fishing section of the river and if you blow up the image you can see a sign on a tree that says this section of river is closed!
From listening to Steve it seems I made about every mistake you could make when I had my salmon on and so we both look forward to tomorrow when we head back to Soldotna. Today's excitement is doing some laundry and getting ready for the move so I probably won't write anything but who knows. Every day is an adventure and a blessing. Clear skies

1 comment:

  1. You're a Brackin, aren't you - you just crowd in!!!

    ReplyDelete