Monday, March 18, 2013

Fishing with Family on the Copano Bay Bridge

I usually avoid fishing the Copano Bay Fishing Bridge. After all It seems like I only catch small sheephead and rat reds, so when Jeff and Kris told me they had bought fishing licenses for their last day in Texas I was in a bit of a quandary.
Not many places to go to as it was mid afternoon so what the heck and we bought a pint of live shrimp and paid our three dollars a pole as we walked onto the bridge. Passing quite a few fishermen we didn't see any stringers and only a few hard head catfish being caught.
Regardless we walked further out and I looked for my secret tell of good places, (and if I told you it wouldn't be a secret would it?). I showed them how to fish pilings for sheephead and actually had a small one steal my bait.
So we fished a bit and Kris yelled for a net but the fish got off. Disappointed she returned to the place of her bite, but it was Jeff's turn as he caught a keeper sheephead. Kris soon followed with another and Jeff added a legal black drum. They were both so excited to be catching fish and here it was the fishing bridge of all places.
They caught other small fish and that was ok as it was so nice to see them having a blast. Returning to the rv I cleaned the fish and we went out to a farewell dinner at Los Comales. The next morning I took their fish to them as they loaded their car and headed north for the snow and the cold.
 It had been a special week for Renita and I as we had missed their wedding while in Alaska. After they left I finally noticed that my tail gate latch had been fixed as the wire I had attached wasn't hanging out. Thanks Kids!
The next day we had to go into Corpus but on Sunday Roy and I returned to the Copano Bay Bridge. Walking clear out to the end we started fishing pilings but we only caught stingrays and hard heads. Working our way back in I had a solid fish on and it took off in a run typical of a nice black Drum.
After a hard fight, Roy netted it for me and it measured 27 inches long. Now I couldn't remember the slot limit for Texas and so I released it and that was ok. Sometimes fish should get lucky.
After several hours of nothing but hard leads and stingrays, we reached the spot where Jeff and Kris had connected with their keepers.The fish had moved but persistence paid off and we caught a nice gaff top catfish and another big drum. Walking over to another couple I asked if they knew the slot limit for black drum and the lady got out her smart phone and looked it up! Maybe I do need a smart phone after all!The black drum was twenty six inches and it would be a nice addition to our fish and chip dinner tonight.
The other couple caught a nice gaff top and gave it to us when they left, so now we had three nice fish. Roy mentioned to me that maybe I need to fish the Copano Bay Bridge as my luck there has changed. I agree! Clear skies

1 comment:

  1. We fished the fishing bridge here yesterday too! I learned it's more fun to catch than to clean! -C

    ReplyDelete