Thursday, March 14, 2013

Pompano, A great Day at the Beach


 
Sometimes it happens like it’s supposed to. Weather, surf, and the fish all cooperate and you have a red letter day on the beach. Not that every day at the beach isn’t special. I mean even a tough day at the beach is still better then working.

So it couldn’t have happened at a better time as Renita’s family is here both Pam and Roy and their daughter and her husband who are newlyweds, Kris and Jeff. So of course we headed to the beach, (the kids have never seen the ocean, living in Iowa). Oh and the beach to us is Padre Island National Seashore, which is away from the spring break partiers up near Port Aransas.

It wasn’t five minutes after we arrived that Roy had a nice pompano in the cooler. Soon Jeff fought one in only to have it fall off the hook as he raised it for a picture. About then the happy hour bunch arrived and poles were tossed out up and down the surf.

Pompano were being caught by everyone but one fisher women was on fire and that was Riva. She is a phenomenal surf fisher and she soon had three pompano in her cooler! I wondered what I was doing wrong and so by watching her I realized I was tossing out too far, the fish were in the first cut.

I soon caught one myself although it was smaller than the others, but that’s ok, we had pompano for dinner! Too soon I had to leave for my dentist appointment. Later, when everyone returned to the park, there was no doubt as to the pompano champion, Riva. While everyone caught fish she caught seven nice pompano, (Did I mention she is in her upper seventies and still wades out into the surf)?

Now the kids think that every day on the beach is easy fishing, and filled with sun, sand, and shells. Little do they realize that being retired is tough work…… Clear skies

1 comment: