Monday, March 4, 2013

The Gulf Coast Gem and Mineral Show 2013


 
The tables were all set up, the display cases filled, and it was almost ten am with the doors soon to be open. It was our third time here since we started selling and I don’t know what was more exciting to me, the selling or the buying opportunities.

Of course selling is important as we have to sell to make more room and money for new acquisitions, but we are collectors first. Sometimes when we sell a piece Renita looks at me wistfully and says, “I really didn’t want to sell that.”, but it was time to let someone else enjoy the piece.

The day was steady and of course I rushed to our friend Dick’s table, to buy star garnets and tiger eye. Renita had already spent some money on beautiful slabs but that’s what our mad money is for, whatever we want! Later I added some lavender star corundum and some opal, definitely for our private collection.

At the end of the day we had steady sales and I was almost flat broke but that’s how it’s supposed to be. Tired we went home and prepared for the tomorrow by making another pair of chain 14k gold filled wire chain mail earrings.

The next day we slept later before heading back to Robstown for the second day of the show. It didn’t take me long to buy some more stones, and later I picked up some stunning blue agate from Malawi. I also bought the prettiest red flame agate I have ever seen and so it won’t be long before we are back in the shop sawing slabs,

Our sales were good even though the nice weather kept the crowd smaller than last year, but we did make some great connections and that’s the most important thing about the show. That of course is meeting new people who have the same love of rock, minerals and fossils? Clear skies
 
ps the display is one set up and designed by our friend Mark Wolbrink

 

1 comment: