Saturday, November 23, 2013

Another Day at Wheeden Island Preserve, Rosettes and Tarpon


 
Wheeden Island is getting to be a staple kayaking place for us. It’s only a short drive away and provides us with a nice place to bird and fish. So we loaded up the yaks, much easier then the canoe, and headed out on a hot and sunny day.

We knew the tide was running out which meant no paddling through the mangrove tunnels but we still had a nice main channel and plenty of places to explore. As soon as we pushed off I stopped to cast a Dead on Arrival, (DOA), tipped jig. It’s one of my favorite jigs to cast as it’s a shrimp imitation and most gulf fish love shrimp.

Having no takers I paddled on to the next spot, (I am fishing places where I have seen other boats), but still no strikes. I had a popping bobber on and was hoping for some speckled trout, but nothing stopped the retrieves and so I continued to the next spot.

Meanwhile Renita was off taking images of American white ibis. There are so many here, along with the ever present great blue herons. A pink rosette flew over head and she followed it, with me not far behind. It’s so good to see her enjoying her fast and maneuverable kayak. I felt good about her safety as most places we were at are less than a couple of feet deep.

Our kayaks both have a large opening and so if we did flip we would simply fall out and then stand up. Thank goodness we don’t have to worry about Eskimo rolls. We still wear our life jackets,(unless its really shallow) and we have the prescribed whistles so help is always as close as each other.

There were quite a few baitfish hanging along the edge of the drop off and so I continued my casting along these edges. At one place I saw a large fish slice through a school and as I neared it slashed through again providing me with a glimpse of its silver side and large scales. I cast and cast to no avail, but at least I can say I was trying to make a hookup with a tarpon, (at least that’s what I think it was).

Two couples in double kayaks caught up to us near the southern tunnel entrance but they ran aground. Renita spied a wading rosette and glided near it. The birds here are quite used to kayakers and she got some great close-ups with her small camera.

Ospreys fished above us and we watched as one flew away with a large mullet. It had the fish grasped in its claws headfirst, as they carry their prey in its most aerodynamic shape. Several pelicans flew by and I was reminded of the book Silent Spring, and how we had almost wiped out so many birds by using a pesticide called DDT.

Thank goodness the birds have recovered so well. It’s almost hard to believe how rare ospreys, eagles, and brown pelicans were when we were kids. I have even been accused of being a hippy in some comments because of some of my posts against oil spills and developments.  That’s ok and kind of funny really, (I am a geologist). There are many voices that speak of their love for wild places, the birds and fish need people to speak for them as money rarely hears their call.

So we tired and headed back to the dock. It was an easy day paddling and it wasn’t the first time I went home empty handed. Some think we eat a lot of fresh fish, but we also eat lots of cornbread. I always keep several packages on hand when the fish out think me. Clear skies

1 comment: