Thursday, July 3, 2014

In the Zone

Rarely, very rarely do I ever get into the zone. When it did happen it usually involved fishing or more often rock climbing. The zone to me is a time where the adrenalin rush makes me concentrate on the here and now and it was always the best high I have ever had. I always likened it to being in a zen like state that shuts out ever thing that's not important,.
Today I actually achieved it while golfing and that has never happened before. Usually I have one or sometimes two good holes and then lose concentration and an eight jumps out of the bag and messes up my score. No matter really as the real reason I golf is to meet people, to get some exercise as I walk the course, and mainly to just have a fun nice day.
So when I teed up on the first hole I was pleasantly surprised when the ball sailed down the fairway. The next shot was on the green and I made a nice putt for a birdie. Good thing I did't get in the Men's League Birdie pot.
The next hole was a par three and I drove the ball within about five feet from the hole. Again I birdied and for me two birdies in a round is as good as it gets. On the third hole and I missed a hole in one by a foot. Of course I two putted for a par.
I followed that with another birdie and then had my first bogey of the day. By this time I realized something special was happening and on the seventh hole I got another birdie. Now I am a nineteen handicap and the others in my foursome were smiling and accusing me of sandbagging.
Another bogey and then a par on the par five ninth. I made five birdies on the front nine and my gross score was a twenty nine. Then just like that I awoke from the state and the wheels came off. I started to play like I usually do and it is what it is.
I ended up with a forty one on the back nine and a seventy one for the round. Still it was my best round ever. It was a nice day, with new friends, cool weather, and a pleasant round of golf surrounded by our mountains.
Oh and I almost forgot, clear skies.

1 comment: