Monday, April 20, 2015

Five years after the BP Oil Rig Exoloded, My Personal Look

Five years ago we camped at Grand Isle and heard that an oil rig exploded.  Little knowing the severity of the disaster, we still refused to climb the beach dune to look across the Gulf. Seeing the disaster and knowing the loss of life did not draw our curiosity only our prayers.
A few days later we saw the black cloud that approached as the smoke from the fire neared.  It rained and black spots of sooty residue settled on our fifth wheel. For the rest of our stay here the winds shifted but we still watched in horror as the lies of the size of the oil spill were put forth from British Petroleum.
Luckily we were gone when the oil reached shore killing all that it touched. Today the Gulf is not back to what it once was, regardless of the lies still spewing in the commercials. Tar balls still wash up, released from the vast under sea tar mats, (no one is testing them and we were told that if you want to prove where they are from you will need to pay for the testing). On Grand Terre a disgusting black debris washes the beaches and the shells are all somber shades of grey.
The birds and fish are making a comeback, most notable the sharks have returned but they are transitory black tips. There are still no acre size schools of feeding reds and I cast my jig and bobber into the dark waters but nothing hits my offering, (hardly a valid test). I wonder if they will school again in my lifetime or if I am here at the wrong time.
A short boat ride and we see birds again nesting on Bird Island so you do see improvements in places. Here for the bird festival, my friend spotted a painted bunting, and the migrants are passing through. Trying to keep this blog positive is hard today, and a few years ago a reader commented and labeled me a,”hippie”.
Not too many geology teachers are labeled hippies. I would rather be one than a fool who blindly accepts the lies. And that’s something I learned from my father. Never the less I will leave you with some images I took yesterday and pray of course for clear beaches and seas. Praying that the area I love will someday be all the way back.
Clear skies



Grand Isle is a very different picture as millions were spent to clean the heavily visited beaches. Birds are abundant and shrimp boats ply the waters, below is an image Renita took on her beach walk in Grand Isle State Park.

Tar balls are also present on Elmers Island but the state owned land was closed to the public during the Bird Festival, for at least for two days, I wonder why?

1 comment: