Friday, April 26, 2013

Big Fish on Grand Isle, 2013


I watched as Eric fought the fish and for a novice fisherman he was really doing well. It took off for another run and I knew it was a bull red, exactly what we had hoped to catch. Now if the old line, reel, and old pole would all hold together, maybe just maybe we would be able to land the fish and take some images.

When the fish finally surfaced he gasped as the fish was a lot bigger then he imagined. He guided the fish away from the pilings and I finally got it to head into the net, far enough that I could fold it in and hoist it up, (Congratut Eric for your biggest fish ever, a 37 inch 23 inch girth bull red)!

After a good release I picked up my pole and now it was my turn. As I started to wind in I realized I had a big fish on and it was fighting more like a big black drum. It kept down and made several runs near the pilings before it finally tired and Eric hoisted up the net, (34 inches long and 25 inch girth, Black Drum).

We fished for a while more and caught quite a few gaff top catfish. We even caught several hard head catfish before it started to rain and begin to get colder. It didn’t matter as we had had a great three hours on the fishing bridge and so we headed back to Connie and Gary’s house.

It’s not all fun here as Gary picked up some oysters and it was time to teach Eric and Jenny how to shuck oysters. While none of us are any threat to anyone whose job is shucking oysters, we did manage to open them all without stabbing ourselves with the oyster knives.

Heading back to the Snyder’s we had a feast of a Grand Isle Shrimp boil, blue crab casserole, and fried oysters. I forgot to take any images and simply ate like there was no tomorrow, (Louisiana is not a good place to diet). Luckily I saved room for a slice of fresh blackberry pie, made from berries I had picked earlier that day.

Thanks Connie and Gary for all the great food! Clear skies

1 comment: