Saturday, April 6, 2013

Matagorda 2013


Sometimes I think I have it all figured out, like fishing at Matagorda and big bull reds. After all it was so easy last year. Just chunk out a piece of cut mullet and sooner or later a big red would slurp it up and fish on… So by the tenth cast I still hadn’t had a bite and even the shark weren’t cooperating.

It was maddening still to watch as two persons were catching twenty five plus inch trout and stringing them all up. Why doesn’t a Texas Game warden ever check the fish on the pier? Of course I got checked last year as soon as I put a twenty one inch red on the stringer.

Renita finally showed up, with a bag full of shells, and I was finally able to complain to someone. She just nodded her head and pretended sympathy as she set the hook on a nice sheephead. I quickly joined her in the fun and we caught fish after fish, quickly having enough legal fish for the meal. I still left a big pole out for reds and shark but it was to no avail.

The next morning the wind howled and so fishing was out of the question. Deciding to head to town the engine only clicked and refused to turn over. Renita called Good Sam Emergency Road service and in the time stated a repair man showed up and jumped our truck, He then looked at the gauges and said the alternator was shot so he gave me a quick course in replacing the alternator. I thanked him for the advice and then asked him if he would repair it. Two hours later we were in the parking lot of a Bay City auto parts store and he finished the job, (I also replaced the batteries as they were seven years old).

Returning back to the campground we rested and then took a walk along the beach as Renita wanted to gather a few more sun dials,(a local shell). I took along my pole and cast for flounder but to no avail, finally giving in and helping her gather more stuff for the fifth wheel.

Tomorrow we head out to High Island and hopefully some good birding. We have also been told it’s a good place for Pleistocene mammal fossils, but we are not going to hold our breath for that. It doesn’t really matter much anyway as the real fun is in the hunting. Clear skies

 

Ps it was the first time we have ever needed Good Sam Emergency Road service and we were pleased with the great service.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment